Friday, July 21, 2006

'Reasons why I am a lousy blogger' OR 'What makes you think I will be able to get that?'

A good blogger would post regularly and consistantly. I am never in the mood to post, and then I find some time and feel as though I have to catch up with several at once.

I have been loving the reference work I have been doing. Finding awesome video of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi for Day to Day and bringing in my own copy of Grey's Anatomy Season One DVD to be dubbed into a science show is exciting and makes me feel good as a librarian. However, yesterday I seemed to get several questions that I could not provide satisfactory results for. This was really getting me down until I started thinking about some of the questions I got and what in Heaven's name made people think I could get those things. Vintage sound from a roller derby which took place from 1935 to 1940 only, and on deadline? I found some from 1946, but when I finally heard the obit piece I realized it wasn't used. sigh. Or what about the BBC broadcast of Captain Kurt Carlsen speaking in 1951 about his ship sinking....from London, in 24 hours?!? I called London, but not surprisingly my quest was a failure. I have to admit that everyone has been very nice and understanding when I just can't find what they are looking for. I guess I just need to understand that just because someone might expect me to be able to find something, I need to allow myself to understand that it will not always be the case and I should be OK with that. Right?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tasha said...

Right.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous The Linzer said...

Just so you know my very first piece of college mail was from the Maharishi Mahesh school of business and yoga (that's right business AND yoga!) in Indiana. I had no idea that it was an actual person...so there you helped me.

And as a former competitive roller skater, I would be pleased with any information you could get me about roller derbys -- you know in case this librarian/archivist thing doesn't work out -- I can always dust off my old skates.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I remember when I worked for Transport Canada I had a request from a patron looking for 'a red book on roads'

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home